“God’s promises are always a perfect match for our problems.”Lysa TerKeurst
In the midst of all the crazy, it’s sometimes hard to trust. When we can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel, it seems hard to trust. In my last blog, I talked about learning to worship God over worrying about the situation, because the truth of the matter is that God has all of this in His plans. Worrying won’t change the outcome of the situation, so why not learn to worship instead. He knows when this will end, He hasn’t forgotten about you. But I realized in the past week that if you don’t know God’s character, it’s going to be nearly impossible for you to trust God and worship Him. Trust doesn’t always come easy. You can’t trust someone unless you truly know them. And even then, it’s still hard sometimes. People break promises. People lie. People choose themselves over you. But listen here. God will never do these things. God doesn’t break promises. God never lies to you. God will always pick you first. Soooo, I hope that through this blog you’re reminded of who God is. I hope that remembering God’s character will make it easier to trust him. Just remember: don’t put human character on God; give God HIS unfailing character.
If you noticed, I didn’t have a scripture verse at the top of this blog. That’s because I want us to look at multiple different scripture verses this time. We can learn so much about God’s character by reading through the stories in the Bible. But there’s also key scripture verses that clearly state the character of God. I encourage you to pick up a Bible and read the following verses as well as their context. God is infinite. So just when you think you know Him, there’s more to discover. No matter where your walk is with the Lord, read these verses with a trusting spirit. These verses aren’t lies. They’re the truth. Trust them.
The following list will range throughout the Bible but will clearly state characteristics of God!
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 – “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with temptations he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”
- 1 John 4:8 – “Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.”
- Psalm 116:5 – “Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; our God is merciful.“
- Revelation 22:13 – “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.“
- Colossians 1:16 – “For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities – all things were created through him and for him.”
- Psalm 68: 19 – “Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation.”
- 1 Timothy 1:17 – “To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.”
- 1 John 1:5 – “This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.”
- Joshua 1:9 – “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- Isaiah 41:13 – “For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, ‘Fear not, I am the one who helps you.'”
These are just 10 verses. But in summary, God is faithful. God is love. God is merciful, gracious, and righteous. God is time. God is creator. God is your salvation. God is immortal, invisible, the one true God. God is light. God is with you. God helps you and holds your hand. That’s incredible!!! Praise God for who He is!
As the future is still so foggy, so unknown, rest in these truths. These 10 characteristics should be more than enough for you to trust God will get you through this corona pandemic. Y’all, God is faithful. He will allow this virus to end. He won’t let it go on forever. He is faithful. God is love. Despite how you may be feeling, God loves you. God loves your family. He will get you out of this because He loves you. God is merciful and gracious. If you’re anything like me and have been struggling with trust lately, He’s merciful and gracious to forgive us if we ask for forgiveness. He gives grace beyond all measure. God is time. If you feel as if God is not here, He’s something of the past, rethink that. He IS here. He always has been and He always will. He is with us. God is creator. He created you. You are precious to Him. God is salvation. You simply cannot be saved without Him, without Jesus. He saves us from eternal death, but He also saves us from sinful things of this earth. God is immortal, invisible, and the one true God. Y’all, if God were a real person, or a real physical thing, we would have no doubts! But He’s still real, despite Him being invisible. He is the one true God. God is light. In this darkness, where there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel, seek the true light, God. He lights up the darkest parts of our lives. Darkness flees in His presence. God is with you. He promises to never leave your side. If you’re lonely, seek Him. He’s sitting on your couch with you. He’s weeping with you. He’s with you now and tomorrow. God helps you and holds your hand. If you need help in this time, seek God. He is the ultimate helper. If you’ve ever sought Christian counsel or Christian help, odds are, the person you spoke with pointed you to God. Because as much help as a human is, God is that greater of a help. He is the ultimate help. And he promises to hold your hand in the tough times.
So girl, I hope this helps. If I’m being honest, this blog was as much for me as I hope it is for you. When the media keeps changing, statistics keep getting worse, and you don’t know what to believe, turn to the truth. Rest in God. Trust in His promises. He loves you. He promises He won’t leave us. He promises to provide comfort in desperate times. Trust Him. He’s the only one truly deserving of our full trust. So girl, know God’s character. Know Him and trust Him. He will never let you down.
p.s. my blog last week was on worshiping over worrying. If you want to read it, here’s the direct link!